(40) bar scale of 1/6 to 1 foot (41) bar scale of 1/9 inch to 1 foot
40 as above, Dulwich College, dimensions given
41 Dulwich College
Signed and dated
- (40) Lincolns Inn Fields 29th July 1811 (41) August 1811
Medium and dimensions
(40) Pen, pencil, warm sepia, yellow ochre, burnt sienna and blue washes, watercolour technique, shaded, partly pricked for transfer, within a three-ruled sepia and black wash border on wove paper (619 x 962) (41) pen, pencil, warm sepia, yellow ochre, burnt sienna and blue washes, watercolour technique, shaded, within a nine-ruled pen and sepia and black wash border on wove paper (331 x 520)
(40) George Allen Underwood (1793-1829, pupil 1807-1815) (recorded drawing a plan of Dulwich in the Day Book entry for 29 July 1811) (41) Soane office
(40-41) J Whatman 1808
The elevation of the east front with the Mausoleum in drawing 40 is the same design seen in drawings 36-39. The arcade runs along the entire length of the Gallery with pediments decorated with antefixae and a serpent motif, and double panelled pilasters on the end bays.
The elevation of the west front in drawing 40 shows the entrance and the almshouses with the back of the Mausoleum lantern behind. The windows are a variation of the seventeenth century design with double mullions set within shallow recessed arches. There is no longer a projecting entrance porch but instead three steps leading up to a rectangular door crowned with a cornice supported by console brackets. The four narrow entrances for the almshouses are also drawn-in, as seen in the previous plans (drawings 33-35). Drawing 41 is an almost identical elevation but with an even simpler entrance with a wider unadorned door set into a recessed arch.
(40) C. Davies, 'Masters of building: the first independent purpose-built picture gallery: Dulwich Picture Gallery', Architect's Journal, April 1984, p. 59; (40-41) F. Nevola, Soane's favourite subject: the story of Dulwich Picture Gallery, 2000, (40) pp. 53 & 183; (41) 54 & 183
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation