(1-2) bar scale
1 Lothbury finish at No. 36, (pencil) Mr Danson, No 9 Mr (illegible), plan labelled: Bartholomew Lane, Lothbury, Princes Street, Bank Stock Office, Accountants Office, Passage from the Bank into Barthol[mew] Lane, Bank, Pollard, Lake Engraver, G&H / Gunmaker, Jones Cheesemonger, Barton / Tallow Chandler, Yard, Cox Baker £30, Henderson, Mr Whieldon @ 90 Guineas, Yard, Sharp / Hair dresser / Gateway, Hobson & Marriett / Hardware men, Yard, Court, Falcon Court, Acton Painter, Passage, Bank (five times), Bake ---[illegible], Nicholson Baker, Passages, Butchers Shop, Yard, with No on some holdings, and with dimensions given
2 The Parts colored red belong to the Bank / The Parts colored Blue belong to Mr Priest, plan of existing Bank labelled: Court yard, Accountants Office, drawing / Accounts Office, deputy Acct Office, Library, Yard, Discount Office, Chancery Office, Mr Edwards Room, Coffee Room, Strong Room, Waiting Room, Water Closet, Yard, Governor's / Room, Barrack Room, Court Room, Committee Room, Office Room, plan of holdings labelled: Catharine Court, Brealy, Passage, Mr Aubin, Clements / China Shop, Price / Cock and Bottle, Bakehouse, Nicholas Baker, Passage, Yard (three times), Butchers, Trunkmaker, Mr Newland / now Mr Mudge, (Bailey) Plan of part of the Bank of England, and dimensions of each holding given
Signed and dated
- (1) John Soane Decr 27. 1792
Medium and dimensions
(1) Pen, coloured washes and pencil, within single ruled border, on laid paper (520 x 361) (2) Pen, grey, blue and red washes, and pencil, within single ruled border, on wove paper (645 x 535)
Drawing has been inlaid on another sheet, but the verso is visible.
insc: Bank of England / Plan of premises / Lothbury [through?] Barth / Lane & c. abutting on the / Bank presented / to the Committee / Decr 27 1792
The land to the north-east was a warren of houses, courts and passages. In this era of protests and riots, such a dense cluster of buildings so near to the Bank's walls was a source of anxiety. The bill submitted by the Bank to Parliament in 1793 (and approved) referred to the houses' flammability and the "various hazardous trades" that they harboured. Drawings 1 and 2 show the density of the area and its proximity to the Bank. Circulation of traffic was also hampered by the disorderly layout; drawing 1 shows that the north end of Bartholomew Lane was largely obstructed by houses projecting into the street. Once the land was obtained, the streets could be widened and the houses demolished. After Bartholomew Lane was straightened, however, there remained an 'island' of rubble or houses (see drawings 3-5). On 12 June 1798 the Building Committee moved to 'pull down the houses on Bartholomew Lane', presumably referring to this last remnant of buildings.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation