- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- 3-4 datable to 11 February 1816 and certainly made before the drawings dated 14 February 1816 that follow see Notes below
Drawings 3 and 4 establish the basic form of the monument which is a monolithic pendentive or canopy dome with four segmental openings (pediments) supported at each corner by a pier. This canopy encloses a four-sided aedicule in the form of a double cube, crowned on each face by a triangular pediment finished at each end by a scroll, and with four Ionic colums (one at each corner). The drawings differ only in the treatment of the piers - rusticated or (the preferred treatment) panelled. Both have a sketchy indication of an oculus to the dome.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).