- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
The earlier house was acquired in c. 1750 by Admiral William Rowley who was succeeded by his second son in 1768 - Admiral Sir Joshua Rowley, created 1st Baronet in June 1786 and dying in 1790 when he was succeeded by his son William Rowley.
The earliest dated drawing among those for Tendring at the Soane Museum for is a plan for the 'Kitchen Court of Offices' offices dated 5 January 1784 that has a companion plan of the 'Basement Story, of Offices &c'
Soane on a site visit to Tendring Hall on 8 May 1784 (Note Book 11) determined that the old house must be demolished. A site was chosen on rising ground with good views over the park and river valley.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).