Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Copies of design (2)


top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM 29/5B /1, 29/5B/2
image Image 2 for SM 29/5B /1, 29/5B/2
  • image Image 1 for SM 29/5B /1, 29/5B/2
  • image Image 2 for SM 29/5B /1, 29/5B/2

Reference number

SM 29/5B /1, 29/5B/2


Copies of design (2)


1-2 Ground floor Plan of the intended Alterations and Additions to the Offices with new Brewhouse, Coals and La[u]ndry


1-2 bar scale of 1/9 inch to 1 foot


1-2 as above, existing rooms labelled: Washouse, Wet Larder, Dry Larder, Kitchen, Scullery, Lobby, Bakehouse, Covered Way (twice) and detached Dairy fronted by four columns

Signed and dated

  • (1) Copy Augt. 10th .90 (2) Copy Augt 10th 1790

Medium and dimensions

Pen, sepia, light red and yellow washes, pricked for transfer on thin laid paper ('copy paper' see notes below) (522 x 629)


John Sanders (1784-90)


By 1790 Soane had in his office, three clerks and five pupils. The two copies catalogued here are virtually identical and were drawn by John Sanders who, articled in 1784, was nearing the end of his apprenticeship; by now a confident draughtsman, he added three trees in pen and wash. It is clear from the account books that between 1784 and 1790 a number of drawings were made for the late seventeenth-century Cockley Cley Hall, but none have survived apart from the copies catalogued here. These have large old water stains and possibly, the related drawings were more severely water-damaged and thus discarded.
Soane's Account Book 1781-86 has entries under Dashwood (p.49) that begin on 20 April 1784 'At Cockley Cley. Took a / Plan of the House & Offices' and, 3 June, 'Sent a design a sheet of / paper / plan and Elevation'. Further entries mention a design for two cottages and on 17 May 1786 'Sketch of Alterations to Offices'.
Soane's Ledger A has under Dashwood (pp.24-25, 64) entries that start on 20 April 1784 and continue to 18 July 1790 when there is an entry: 'Left a drawing of a design for Addns / to Offices on a sheet of Cartr[idge] / Paper and two layovers (sic) the / whole mak[in]g 3 designs'. An entry for 10 August 1790 has 'Sent two designs for Alterations / and Additions to Offices each / on a sheet of Copy Paper [£]15.15.0'. Presumably four copies were made in all - two for the client and two for the office.
Sold by the Dashwood family early in the nineteenth-century, the house and offices were rebuilt in an Italianate style, 1870-71.

Jill Lever, June 2009


D. Stroud, Sir John Soane architect, 2nd ed., 1996, p.241; P. Dean, Sir John Soane and the country estate, 1999, p.168



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).