Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Record drawings of a design of c. 1784 for a four-bay, two-storey addition (2)


  • image Image 1 for SM volume 41/38 recto, volume 41/37 verso
  • image Image 2 for SM volume 41/38 recto, volume 41/37 verso
  • image Image 1 for SM volume 41/38 recto, volume 41/37 verso
  • image Image 2 for SM volume 41/38 recto, volume 41/37 verso

Reference number

SM volume 41/38 recto, volume 41/37 verso


Record drawings of a design of c. 1784 for a four-bay, two-storey addition (2)


1 Plan of the Ground Floor for Willm Cooke Esqr showing a new laundry, kitchen and dining room with a large table and, at the rear, a passageway 2 Elevation showing three ground floor windows set in blind arches with a pedimented end bay, and with three sections


(1-2) bar scale of 1/6 inch to 1 foot


1 as above, labelled Boarded on Oak Ground Joists, Purbeck Paving, This Chimney the same / height as the old, Paved (five times), Kitchen Court, (pencil) Clean[ing] / Shoes and Scull[er]y, and dimensions given. List of timbers: Girder ... 10 by 9½ deep / Joists ... 2½ by 10 / Plate ... 9 by 5 / Poll Plate ... 4 by 3 / Rafters ... 5 by 2½ / Beam to Cieling ... 7 by 5 / Cieling Joist ... 3 by 2½ 2 The Windows AA to be like those / in the Centre Building, labelled Floor, Ro[und] Arch (three times, one is segmental) and dimensions given

Signed and dated

  • originally drawn c. January 1784

Medium and dimensions

(1) Pen, sepia, raw umber, green and pink washes, some watercolour technique, pencil on laid paper (243 x 365) (2) pen and sepia washes, pencil on laid paper (243 x 365)


John Sanders (pupil 1784-90)


(1-2) fleur-de-lis


Stroud (op.cit., p.240) states ' A new reception room and kitchen added to the east. Soane may also have been responsible for the simple entrance gatewayof brick with stone coping. The property was sold in 1897 and demolished to form Aubrey and Howard Roads.'
The TS index and MS transcript of Soane's Note Books have a number of entries for William Cooke. The first is for 27 January 1784 'about Mr Cookes Alters &c', another for 12 July 1784 'Mr Cooke, A Journey to Walthamstow, begun the Church. Recd £550 making in all £1250 & is in full of all demands, leaving for me £78.'. There are other references in SM Ledger A, p.52 and SM Account Book 1781-6 dealing with minor tradesmen's bills.
Stroud, op.cit, p.243, List of works, 1784: St Mary's Church, Walthamstow - 'unspecified work carried out in the church at the expense of Mr Cooke, but it cannot now be identified'.

Walthamstow, once in the county of Essex, is now part of Greater London and in the London borough of Waltham Forest.

Jill Lever, April 2009


D.Stroud, John Soane architect, 2nd ed., 1996, pp. 54,56,240,243



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).