- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
Soane journeyed to Tyringham on 9 March and 16 May 1795. On 6 July he sent by post to Mr Richmond (clerk of works at Tyringham) a design for a hothouse. Two years later, on 14 June 1797, Soane sent to Mr Praed four drawings for a greenhouse, peachery and vinery on cartridge paper. It is unclear which design for the hothouses was executed or the date of their construction, as drawings 137 to 139 have an alternative design.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Presentation drawings and working copies of variant designs for a peachery, vinery and greenhouse, some by John Haverfield, March 1795 (5)
-  Presentation drawing of variant design for a peachery, by John Haverfield, March 1795
-  Working copy of variant design for a peachery, March 1795
-  Presentation drawing of variant design for a vinery, by John Haverfield, March 1795
-  Working copy of variant design for a vinery, 13 March 1795
-  Presentation drawing of variant design for a peachery, vinery and greenhouse, by John Haverfield, March 1795