- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
The earliest record of these remedial works occurs when George Bailey noted in the Day Books for 19 June 1832 that he met with John Phipps, a clerk at the Office of Woods (formerly the Office of Works) ‘respecting the settling of the lantern light at the Court of Exchequer’. Subsequent entries record that Bailey returned four times to the Law Courts during the following August, when his design for reinforcing the Exchequer’s roof was produced (SM 53/4/66). It appears this work raised similar concerns over the stability of the lantern over the Court of King’s Bench, for which Bailey also proposed reinforcements (SM 53/4/67). It appears that by this date, Soane had wholly delegated such matters to Bailey.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Repairs to Roofs, July 1832-September 1832 (3)
-  Survey drawing, Court of Exchequer, July 1832
-  Survey drawing with preliminary design, Court of Exchequer, 2 August 1832
-  Final design, Court of King's Bench, 8 September 1832