- Robert and James Adam office drawings
The scheme proposes a courtyard to the rear of the house, with a two-storey colonnade, and with a separate building containing kitchen offices, a dancing room and bedrooms. Adam volumes 33/97 and 33/96 show a stepped passageway from the kitchen offices to the basement level as providing access to the main house, along with the colonnaded walk which led directly into the ground floor Eating room. Adam volumes 35/98 and 35/95 detail how at first floor, the colonnaded link building provided access from the second drawing room into the dancing room beyond.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Designs for a house, possibly executed, c1786 (8)
-  Design for the basement storey of a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for the ground storey of a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for the first storey of a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for the second storey of a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for the attic storey of a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for a house for the street front, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for the kitchen office front for a house, possibly executed, c1786
-  Design for a longitudinal section through a house, possibly executed, c1786