- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
The clock, specified as 'an 8 day turret clock and weather vane', was built by Thwaites & Reed, clock-makers from London. A first estimate was sent in January 1825 (j/21/2). It was succesffuly installed in March 1825 (j/21/1) by John Harrison and in February 1825 Purney Sillitoe was billed £121.15.1 (j/10/8).
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Designs for the clock turret and chimney to stables, July and August 1824 (2)
-  Design for the clock turret and chimney to stables, 30 July 1824
-  Design for the clock turret and chimney to stables, 3 August 1824