- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
No contemporary ground floor plan for Piercefield has survived, but presumably the east and west parlours were located on the north side of the house. Probably one parlour (east parlour?) was for Mrs Smith and the other parlour with its more masculine decoration for Mr Smith.
Drawings 19-29 are copies of working drawings probably related to the 17 drawings of 'finishings to the Rooms' that were sent to George Smith on 18 February 1793 (Ledger B, p.211). They are on thin laid paper with red sealing wax on some of the corners and in the same unidentified office hand.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Working drawings (copies) for the east and west parlours, February 1793 (4)
-  Working drawing (copy) for the east parlour, 20 February 1793
-  Working drawing (copy) for the west parlour, 26 February 1793
-  Working drawing (copy) for the east parlour, 26 February 1793
-  Working drawing (copy) for the west parlour, February 1793