- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh: unexecuted preliminary designs and finished drawings for a new hall and library, c1760, unexecuted (11)
-  Preliminary design for the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Preliminary designs for the rear (south) front, principal (north) front and first storey of the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Preliminary designs for an axial section through the library and a plan for the ground storey, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for the ground storey, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for principal storey of the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for the upper storey of the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for principal (north) front, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for rear (south) front, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for a longitudinal section showing the south end of the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing of a longitudinal section showiing the north end of the library, c1760, unexecuted
-  Finished drawing for an axial section through the Library, c1760, unexecuted