Soane had carried out some minor alteratiions to Lord Breadelbane's house in Park Lane in 1802-3. It is not clear why he was comissioned in 1808 to design the interiors at Taymouth Castle, in any case they were not executed and he had to wait ten years before being paid his fee of £105. (Information from Taymouth Castle file, Soane Museum). The Marquesses of Breadelbane had interests in an estate and enslaved people in in St Andrews, Jamaica.
H.Colvin, Biographical dictionary of Brtish architects1600-1840, 2008. p.351; Legacies of British Slavery database, UCL: www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Taymouth Castle, Kenmore, Perthshire: unexecuted designs for the interiors, for Lord Breadalbane, 1808 -1809 (17)
-  Survey plan of part of ground floor
-  Survey plan of part of ground floor to a lesser scale
-  Part elevatiion
-  Drawing room, design May 1808
-  Drawing room, perspective design 1808
-  Drawing room, as  14 April 1809
-  Great dining room, design, May 1808
-  Great dining room, as  12 April 1809
-  Dining room, design 31 May 1808
-  Dining room, as  not dated
-  Dining room, perspective design 17 June 1808
-  Dining room, as  1808
-  Dining room, variant perspective design 1808
-  Music room, design 20 May 1808
-  Music room, as  no date
-  Music room, perspective design 1808
-  Breakfast room, perspective design 1808