- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
The drawings are arranged by date: thus a single design drawing, five plans signed by three hands and implying some sort of contract, and five plans that are 'of'' rather than 'for' and were probably made outside of the Soane office.
Jill Lever, February 2017
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of London: 4 Dean Street: designs for alterations for Robert Knight 1804, 1807 and 1808 (11)
-  Design for Mrs Impey, datable to 1804
-  Contract drawing for alterations to basement floor, 8 May 1807
-  Contract drawing for alterations to ground floor, 8 May 1807
-  Contract drawing for alterations to first floor, 8 May 1807
-  Contract drawings for alterations to second floor, 8 May 1807
-  Contract drawings for alterations to attic floor, 8 May 1807
-  Survey drawing of basement, 8 February 1808
-  Survey drawing of ground floor, 8 February 1808
-  Survey drawing of alterations to first floor, 8 February 1808
-  Survey drawing of second floor, 8 February 1808
-  Survey drawing of attic floor, 8 February 1808)