- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
Pupil and assistant May 1794 - September 1808.
The house had been divided in 1751-52 by Sir Isaac Ware although by the time of Soane's survey there were already some breakthroughs between the two halves - one behind the staircase on the ground floor and two between the landings and the front rooms on the first floor. Interestingly, although the front of the house remained symmetrical when the house was divided - to the extent that the central window on the first floor was retained but blocked up - the rear elevation did not. Thus the Library has three windows whereas the Eating Room has only two. The total frontage is 57 feet 10 inches. The two front areas have staircases leading down to basements or cellars, although there is no corresponding survey of the lower level of the building at the Soane Museum.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).