No. 33 St James's Square dates from about 1673. It was replaced in c.1770-1772 by a new house designed by Robert Adam, for which there are drawings (not yet catalogued) in the Soane collection. As rebuilt by Adam, the front elevation was four windows wide and the Charles Street front was seven windows wide. The house was bought by Lord Eliot for £11.000 in April 1805 and work was begun immediately by Soane (see drawings  to ).
The next stage concerned new stables, originally in Charles Street (see drawings  to ) but later in Market Lane (see drawings  to ). Demolished c.1916.
The final stage was carried out from 1817 to 1823. Only five drawigns ( to ) survives for this period. The work included a large eating room for which alternative designs were made.
Survey of London, volume XXIx 1960, pp.206-210 (for 33 St James's Square, stables in Market Street and llater extension in Charles Street and volume XXX (fig.40, plate 186); P.Dean, Sir John Soane and London, 2006, p.229
Other works carried out for the Eliot family are: alterations to Down Ampney, Gloucestershire, 1799 (q.v.) and the remodelling of the interior of Port Eliot, St German's, Cornwall, 1804-06 (q.v.)
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of London: 33 St James's Square, Charles Street and Market Lane: alterations and additions for Lord Eliot, 1805-1819 (55)
- Survey drawings, April-May 1805 (10)
- Designs for alterations, April-June 1805 (8)
- Working drawings for alterations June-August 1805 (15)
- Designs for stables in Charles Street, 1813, 1815 (3)
- Designs for stables in Market Lane, 1816-1817 (14)
- Designs for additiions in Charles Street, 1817-1819 (5)