rough bar scale of 1/12 inch to 1 foot
The Lord Eliot, labelled Yard for Dung, Gate / for | Cay | Dung, 2 Stalls / or Loose Stable (twice), Harness, Hay (twice), Hay & Corn, Harness (twice), Entrance, Qy[query] Ride --- to --- (?) House and a few dimensions given
Signed and dated
Decr 7 1805
Medium and dimensions
Pen, pencil and sepia wash, pricked for transfer on laid paper (552 x 341)
Henry Hake Seward (1778 - 1848)
Pupil and assistant May 1794 - September 1808.
The earliest surviving drawing for stables at Port Eliot was made by Seward presumably after discussion with Soane since the adoption of a castellated style is unusual (for Soane). Ptolemy Dean's notes for the Soane Monuments Trust (Soane Museum library, date?) state that the stables at Port Eliot are 'possibly Soane's most original stables'.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing