- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
In terms of design, the most notable difference is that the columns on the first tier are free-standing, as opposed to engaged, an idea Soane introduced in his earlier 1822 designs. This necessitated a change in the architrave design, where each corner column is given its own mini architrave to support. This enlarged version became possible due to the raising of sufficient capital by public subscription in 1826, as all parties wanted to see the tower enlarged, although extra capital from the Commissioners was not forthcoming.
The drawing also presents us with a notification of the contractor Daniel Sharp, who won the tender for the Church in August 1825. The contract states the cost of £19,524, but the specific work incurred an additional cost of £648, making the total £20,172.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Design for the tower for Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone, London, 1826 (1)
-  Design for the steeple/tower at Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone, London, copied 25 October 1826 and 22 November 1826