- Published Work: Soane/Baroque/Adam/other architects
Drawing 31 has multiple working drawings for the construction of the stables. The roof over the ride is a simple king-post structure with metal straps. The tie-beam is elevated at a height above the eaves. A king-post roof is also over the turret.
The stalls at Lees Court are 6 feet wide and 8½ feet long, discounting the manger. As drawings 28 and 29 show, there were 26 of these stalls at Lees Court stables.
Sections of the entrance building and the north range are also included in drawing 31, showing the distribution of the first and ground floors. The ceiling of the upper storey over the north range are 6 foot 8½ inches in high.
The verso of drawing 31 has large-scale drawings of the timber frames in the doors and windows. The Diocletian lunettes have wooden mullions, as do the rounded windows facing the interior court.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).