Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  [3] Design for a roof truss, ?1829
  • image SM 37/2/12

Reference number

SM 37/2/12


[3] Design for a roof truss, ?1829


Plan and elevation of Truss for New Roof to Whitehall Chapel (see Model)


bar scale of 3/8 inch to 1 foot


as above, labelled: 9 of these Trusses / 2 Jack Trusses, A Principal Beams 18 by 12 and 14 by 9 fir / B Oak King Posts 9 by 9 / C Queen Posts 8 by 9 / D Principal Rafters 12 by 9 / E Collar Beams 12 by 9 / F Top Collar Beams 10 by 9 & 6 by 9 / G Struts 8 by 9 / H Struts 6 by 9 / I Common Rafters 6 by 3 / K Poll Plates 6 by 4 / L Joists on Top 6 by 3 / M Oak Corbels 13 by 6 / N Oak Plates 10 by 6 / O Oak Plates 9 by 6 / P Binding Joists 12 by 9 / Q Purloins 8 by 6, In Plan, Angle Ties 12 by 9 / Dragon Pieces 9 by 6 / Hip Rafters / Inch ¼ Boarding to flat / Inch Battens for Slates / Inch ½ bolts to King Posts BB / Inch ¼ bolts to Queen Posts CC / Inch bolts to feet of Principal Rafters / ¾ bolts to all the other Posts / Role 3 In diamtr / Inch ¼ deal Gutter boards and / Bearers 4 by 2½ / Gutter 4 feet wide, A, B (twice), C (twice), D (twice), E, F, G (6 times), H (twice), I (twice), K (4 times), L (3 times), M (4 times), N (twice), O (twice), P (4 times), Q (4 times), 2'0'' (twice), Copy (twice)

Medium and dimensions

Pen and sepia washes, pricked for transfer on wove paper (243 x 648)


Charles James Richardson (1809-71, pupil and assistant 1824- 1837)


Smith & Allnutt 1827


The drawing is dated to 1829 by Walter L. Spiers (1848-1917, curator 1904-17). A note in the Soane Museum says that the corner of the drawing is dated '19th' but the rest of the corner, which is now missing, presumably had the full date and was seen by Spiers. The corner has since been further damaged so that now no part of the date is present on the sheet. The model referred to in the drawing is in the Museum, numbered M1216. There is also a model of a jack truss, numbered X230. There are three other models for the roof of the Banqueting House in the Soane Museum (M1215, M1217 and M1221). The first of these models shows a method of strengthening the trusses of the existing roof structure. Soane's original intention, no doubt, was to preserve Jones's roof but it was ultimately decided to build a new one as the existing structure was in a very dilapidated condition. The new roof was covered with slates with a lead flat on top.



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).