Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  [35] Design for the roof timbers and truss, St Peter's, Walworth, London, January 1823


  • image SM 54/6/23

Reference number

SM 54/6/23


[35] Design for the roof timbers and truss, St Peter's, Walworth, London, January 1823


Plan of the arrangement of joists and beams. On the left the arrangement is vertical with cross beams, and the right reverses this arrangement. The section shows the arrangement of the wooden truss, with a common rafter and principal beneath, a king and two queen posts, wooden struts connecting these elements, along with purlins, and metal rods keeping the structures attached to the tie beam at the bottom. Attached to the side is an arrangement for a smaller truss consisting of a principal and beam with rods and purlins, and this is attached to the main truss and to the wall on the other side


to a scale


Newington Church No19 / (copied 26th Augst 1823) / Timbers of the Roofs / Plan & Elevation / Tie beam / Principal / beam / beams / Bressumer / Kings / Tie beam / Wall Plate / Raising Plate / Pink deal Battening for Slates / Principal / Purlin / Struts / Scantling of Timbers to the Roof over Galleries / Staircases West & apartments East / Beams 9 by 6 / Oak Slings 6 x 6 exclusive of their abutments / Principals 5 x 4 1/2 / Bridging undertaking / bearers averaging 7 x 3 1/2 / Raking Bearers 5 x 3 / Bridging Joists 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 / White deal Gutter Boards on strong framed bearers /Scantling of Timbers to the Centre Roof / Brefsummers over iron Standards 12 x 9 / Raising Plate 9 x 7 / Principals averaging 6 1/2 x 6 / Oak Kings / Oak Queens / exclusive of their abutments 6 x 5 / Struts or Braces 5 x 4 / Purlins / 5 x 3 1/2 / Pull plates 6 x 4 / Ridge Piece 10 x 2 / Rafters 5 x 2 1/2 / Binding Posts ( 6 & 5 alternately in each bay) / 9 x 4

Signed and dated

  • January 1823
    Lincolns Inn Fields / January 1823

Medium and dimensions

Pencil, pen, and coloured washes of blue, pink, and yellow on wove paper (737 x 531)


SOANE, Sir John (1754--1837), architect
Probably Mee, Arthur Patrick (1802--1868), draughtsman
In the Soane Office Day Books only Arthur Mee is recorded as working on Sections for the church on the 17th and possibly 23rd January 1823, and some of the letter forms such as the upper case -N and -C are similar to those used by Mee in the Office Day Books


The 1823 designs for roof trusses differ from those of the previous year (SM 54/6/48; SM 54/6/49). The pitch is far lower, and a simpler truss and purlin arrangement is preferred. A flatter mono truss is used on the side as the roof flattens out. Iron elements in the form of rods are also added which may lessen the need for more wooden support structures.



If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).