Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  [1] Finished drawing for the ground storey of the opera house, c1789, unexecuted
  • image SM Adam volume 47/8

Reference number

SM Adam volume 47/8


[1] Finished drawing for the ground storey of the opera house, c1789, unexecuted


Plan of the ground storey of the opera house and surrounding buildings. The east front of the principal block is formed with the central eleven bays receding, and this is flanked by porte cochères, beyond which there are paired curved staircases. The southern end of the principal block contains a series of rooms for the storage of stage machinery and vaulted cellars, and these form a horse-shoe-shaped area, with a curved north wall. To the east of this there are tavern parlours, with kitchen offices to the south-east. To the west there are rooms for the housekeeper and a number of dressing rooms and water closets, with the male and female dressing rooms separated by a central corridor. At the northern end of the corridor there are octagonal dressing rooms of an irregular form. At the north end of the central block there is an oval room, with steps leading down to a central space containing a stove. The room is encircled by a passage for chairs, with the space beyond used for irregularly-shaped cellars. To the east of the oval room there is a lobby and further parlours. To the west there is a space for chairs and tap rooms. To the south of the principal block there is a central rotunda with steps linking to the main block via a hexagonal porters hall. The rotunda is flanked by curved wings, which contain single-bay, two-roomed units, with staircases leading to an upper level. To the north of the principal block there is a rectangular annexe building forming a tavern, and the starlings for the three link bridges which connect to the principal block. The annexe block has a central, bifurcated staircase, and this is flanked by a series of rooms, and smaller staircases


to a scale


Plan of the Ground Story of the Opera House with the shops east [?] Pall Mall & the Tavern at the North end (in pencil) / No 8 (in pencil) / faint pencil inscription / Housekeepers Parlor / Bed room / Housekeepers’ Kitchen / Pantry / General Dressing room for men / Lady’s Dressing room / Gentlemans Dress room / Lady Dress room / Gentlemans Dress room / Gentlemans / Ladys / Coffee room / Ladys Dress room / Gentlemans Dress room / Ladys Dress room / Gentlemans Dress room / Ladys Dress room / Gentlemans Dress room / Hall for Chairs to sett down & take up for the Boxes / Tap room / Bar / Tap room / Barkeeper / Porters Hall / Porters Bedroom / Scullery / Space for Machinery & Trap doors to go under the Stage / Store room for Scenes, flooring Boards, Furniture & all kinds of necessary machinery under the Pitt & Boxes / 1. / 2. / 3. / vaulted cellars for the use of the Tavern / Cellar / Cellar / Passage for Chairs / Servants waiting room / stove / Cellar / Cellar / Kitchen / Tavern Parlor / Tavern Parlor / Hall leading to five sh gallerys & also to the box stairs / Box stairs / Lobby to the 3 shilling Gallery / Waiting room or Parlor / Waiting room or Parlor / [_ _ _ _ _ _ _] (in pencil) / [_ _ _ _ _ _ _] (in pencil) / Coach Way [_ _ _ _ _] court or part of the coachway (in pencil) / street [?] [_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _] (in pencil) / coachway [_ _ _ _ _ _] Charles Street (in pencil) / Passage from the Haymarket for Chairs (in pencil) / passage from Charles Street for Chairs (in pencil) / [_ _ _ _ _] Waiting room or Parlor (in pencil) / Lobby for Servants (in pencil) / Lobby for servants (in pencil) / [_ _ _ _ _] Waiting room or Parlor (in pencil)

Signed and dated

  • c1789

Medium and dimensions

Pen, pencil and wash within a single ruled border on laid paper (1049 x 582)


Office hand, possibly Robert Morison or Daniel Robertson


Notation, modern curatorial hand


Bolton, 1922, Volume II, Index p. 40
Sheppard, 1960, Volume XXIX, (i), p. 249
For a full list of literature references see scheme notes.



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).