
Browse
Reference number
Purpose
Aspect
Scale
Inscribed
Signed and dated
- 1625/35
Date range: 1625/35
Medium and dimensions
[Mount] Frame lines, in pen and dark brown ink, 10mm apart; window (223x160mm)
Hand
Watermark
Notes
Now lost, this pedestal-like object had, at its base, two sphinxes seated on a plinth, which supported a central zone where two female figures are dressing a door with garlands that was capped by frieze of griffins and mini-candelabra and then a feature that looks rather like an extended Ionic capital with rams’ heads at the centres of the scrolls. The ‘capital’ was then topped with another decorative band of baluster forms, double balusters alternating with cross-shaped configurations (possibly not of antique origin; Campbell 2004). The base was also recorded in the sixteenth century in drawings by Giovannantonio Dosio and Étienne Duperac, which provide views as well of one of the other sides, which was adorned with foliate decoration. The original function of the object is open to debate. Campbell considered it to be an altar on the basis of its similarity with other ancient altars but noted that its concave sides were unusual. Alternatively, it could conceivably have been a base for a candelabrum, a type of object that often has concave sides.
Although the annotation specifies that the base was in Rome in the church of Santa Prassede, it had already been moved by the time this drawing was made (c.1630). This is clear from a caption on the Dosio drawing, which states that it had formerly been in Santa Prassede and was now ‘in the house of Messer Tommaso de Cavalieri’ (Fu già in Sta Presedia, oggi in casa di M. Thomaso de Cavalierj), and so had already been moved before the middle of the sixteenth century. The Coner drawing was a copy, therefore, of an earlier depiction made before it was removed from the church. Whatever became of the base, it was featured much later in a lavish publication by Charles Percier and Pierre François Léonard Fontaine (Percier–Fontaine 1798, pl. 86).
OTHER IMAGES MENTIONED: [Giovannantonio Dosio] Florence, BNC, N.A. 618 (Dosio Sketchbook), fol. 33v (Tedeschi Grisanti 1983, p. 92); [Étienne Duperac] Louvre, CdD, inv. 26458 (Guiffrey–Marcel 1907–75, 5, p. 76)
Literature
Campbell 2004, 2, pp. 619–20
Census, ID 44785
Level
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).