The buildings around St Stephen's Cloister were occupied by the Auditor of the Exchequer until 1794, in which year they were given over to the Speaker of the House of Commons. Henry Addington (1757-1844) oversaw new fittings and alterations between 1794 and 1801. Further alterations were made for Sir John Mitford (1748-1830), 1801-2, before more substantial alterations were carried out for Charles Abbot (1757-1829) in 1802-8, all under James Wyatt (1746-1813). During Soane's tenure £2,646 was spent on works involving the stairs (1824) and the kitchen was moved at a cost of £680 (1826). An average of £346 a year was expended on general maintenance between 1816 and 1832.
J. M. Crook and M. H. Port, The History of the King's Works, VI, 1973, pp. 533-4.