London: Black Rod's House, Palace of Westminster: survey drawings, 1825-9 (4)
The Usher of the Black Rod is responsible for the buildings, services and security of the Palace of Westminster. Between 1812 and 1832 this post was filled by Sir Thomas Tyrwhitt (1762-1833). Black Rod's residence was a small, two-storey building to the south east of the Palace of Westminster, towards the River Thames. It is unknown when the house became Black Rod's. Soane made designs for alterations and additions to the house in May 1826 (q.v. SM 51/3/7-8) - these were not executed.