Wall Hall, Hertfordshire: new entrance front and rooms for G. W. Thellusson, 1800 (3)
George Woodford Thellusson (1764-1811) was the second son of Peter Thellusson (1737-97), an Anglo-French mechant banker. The family firm later occupied No. 2 New Bank Buildings, built by Soane in 1807-10. Ptolemy Dean refers to 'minor alterations' but the designs catalogued here show fairly substantial alterations that include the rebuilding of the entrance front, dining room, entrance hall, library and passage to the offices. Soane's proposals were not carried out, and the house was rebuilt as Aldenham Abbey in 1802.
Literature: N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, 2nd ed., 1977, p. 67; P. Dean, Sir John Soane and the Country Estate, 1999, p. 189.