Preliminary designs for an altar and ironwork gates, 1775, unexecuted (1)
Eighteenth-century law prohibited the existence of freestanding Catholic churches, and as such it was necessary for Adam to add a projecting wing to attach the chapel to the house. This wing incorporates the library and an elevated conservatory which is supported by an archway. Adam did make several changes to the chapel itself, including the addition of Spalatro order columns, but these were removed during the nineteenth century when the chapel was converted into a Greek cross plan. Adam's designs for an altar and gateway, seen here in Adam volume 54/7/244, were not executed.