Hingham, Norfolk: Church of St Andrew: reredos and communion rail for the Revd Philip Woodhouse, 1785 (2)
Drawing 1 shows a reredos semicircular on plan that, not counting its three pinnacles, is 15½ feet high. The curved plan suggests an apsidal end to the square-ended chancel with stepped corners. The reredos is designed in a Gothic style with five blind, arcaded, trefoil arches; it no longer exists (Pevsner and Wilson).
Drawing 2 has a more fully worked out plan for the reredos that is now of three rather than five bays. But essentially it is a design for the communion rail with trefoil-headed openings alternating with 'pedestals'.
The chancel is shown on the drawings as 28 feet wide and 50 feet long; overall, the church is about 160 feet long. It was built from 1319 to 1359; the chancel in c. 1335-40. The elevation shows a three-light window with intersecting tracery which was replaced in 1825 by a larger window filled with German stained glass of c. 1535.
Soane's Bill Book 1 (p.167) has entries for Hingham church dated between 14 April 1785 and 31 December 1788. These show that as well as a reredos (termed 'altar' by Soane) and communion rail, he also designed a pulpit and gravestones. Commencing with a survey, Soane made about eight visits in all and sent more than 15 design and working drawings on various occasions. A payment 'in full' of £20 is recorded in the last entry of this Bill Book.