Aberlady Church, East Lothian: Monument to Lady Elibank, commissioned by Patrick Murray, 5th Lord Elibank, c1762-63, unexecuted (7)
This unexecuted monument design was commissioned by Patrick Murray, 5th Lord Elibank, for his deceased wife Maria Margaretta, daughter of Cornelius de Yong, Lord of Elmeet, who had died in 1762. It was probably intended for Aberlady Church, East Lothian, as it is here that we find a later monument to Lady Elibank, to a different design, carved by Antonio Canova and including an inscription in Latin composed by Dr Johnson.
Literature: A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, Index pp. 54, 70; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume II, p. 265