Hull (or Kingston upon Hull), Yorkshire: Bank of England branch, Salt House Lane: survey and designs for alterations and additions, 1827-1828 (6)
The Branch Bank at Hull was converted from a house in Salthouse Lane built in 1780 by Henry Wilkinson, having been purchased from the Trustees of the Mechanics' Institute for £2,000 in May 1828. Business commenced on 2 January 1828 in the face of local opposition, with George Schonswar as the bank's first agent, and Benjamin Stocks as sub-agent.
A map (in the Soane Museum numbered SM 57/3/6) of Hull dated March 1818 shows Salt House Lane leading from the Old Dock to the Old Harbour. The bank is marked on the map as south of Dryden's En and Mill Yard, west of Salthouse Ct and east of Sleight Ct. It occupied the same premises until 1856, when business was moved to a new building in Whitefriargate, designed by P.C. Hardwick (1822-1892) for the Bank of England. The old property on Salthouse Lane was sold to the trustees for the Sailors' Home. In 1966 the listed building was compulsorily purchased by the City Council before being sold to the William Sutton Trust in 1986 and converted into 12 flats. Although substantial alterations were made to the interior, the exterior of the property remains largely in its original state. It is now known as 'Alfred Schofield House', and is listed Grade II.
Literature: W. Marston Acres, The Bank of England from Within, 1694-1900, Vol. II, 1931, pp. 435 & 573-4; A. Godden, Hullweb History of Hull: Salthouse Lane, <www.hullwebs.co.uk>; English Heritage, British Listed Buildings: Alfred Schofield House, <www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk>