Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland: Bank of England branch, Clavering Place: survey and designs for alterations, 1828 (4)
The Newcastle branch bank opened on 21 April 1828 after two houses on the corner of Clavering Place and Bailey Gate, purchased by the Bank of England, had been converted. Alterations included a new main entrance on the Clavering Place side of the building and significant changes to the layout of the ground floor and basement. As with the Exeter branch, the opening of the new bank branch in Newcastle met with local opposition. The bank's first agent was George Carr, with Timothy Cutforth as sub-agent. The bank branch does not survive; it was demolished to make way for railway improvements in the mid-nineteenth century.
Literature: W. Marston Acres, The Bank of England from Within, 1694-1900, Vol. II, 1931, pp. 426-37.