Patshull Hall, Boningale, Staffordshire: design for a pedestal, for Sir John Astley, 1765 (2)
Sir John Astley, 2nd Baronet, of Patshull (1687-1771), was the son of Sir Richard Astley (created Baronet in 1662). He served as MP (Tory) for Shrewsbury in 1727-34, and Shropshire in 1734-71. In 1711 he married Mary Prynce, daughter of Francis Prynce of Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, but they separated and lived apart for much of their marriage. Sir John's only son predeceased him, and in 1771 he died without an heir causing the baronetcy to become extinct.
In c1738-54 Sir John replaced the thirteenth-century house at Patshull with a new fabric to designs by James Gibbs (1682-1754). Gibbs was succeeded by William Baker (1705-71). Alterations were made to the house in 1874-78 by W.C. Banks (1839-1914). Sir John sold Patshull in c1765 for £100,000 to Sir George Pigot. Afterwards the estate was in the possession of the Earls of Dartmouth, and in 1958 it was offered to the Treasury in lieu of inheritance tax, and is now an events venue for hire.
This drawing showing a pedestal is the only known Adam design made for Sir John Astley. The drawing is dated 1765, and must have been made shortly before Patshull was sold. There is no evidence that this pedestal was executed. Moreover, it seems unlikely considering the imminent sale of the house.
Literature: A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, Index pp. 52, 61; E. Harris, The furniture of Robert Adam, 1963, Index p. 51; L. Namier, 'Astley, Sir John, 2nd Bt. (1687-1771), of Patshull, Staffs. and Everley, Wilts.', and J.B. Lawson, 'Astley, Sir John, 2nd Bt. (1687-1771), of Patshull, Staffs. and Everley, Wilts.', History of Parliament online