Everton House near Biggleswade, Bedfordshire: addition of piped water and greenhouse for William Astell, 1812-1813 (5)
William Astell was the younger brother of Stephen Thornton, the son of Godrey Thornton for whom Soane designed Moggerhange. William had assumed the name Astell in 1807. In due course Godfrey inherited the house to which additions were made. Thus it was natural for Astell to employ Soane for the nearby Everton House.
William Astell was a Director of the East India Company in 1800, 1802-5, 1807-10, 1812-15, 1817-20, 1822-25, 1827-30, 1832-35, 1837-40, 1842-45; Deputy Chairman in 1809, 1823 and 1829; and Chairman in 1810, 1824, 1828.
P.Dean wrote 'Soane carried out significant alterations to Everton, an early eighteenth-century house. The work, which cost £5.928.16s 5d incliuded the additiion of a conservatory. The house was destroyed [in the last century], although the former laundry and service wing survives.'
Literature: P.Dean, Sir John Soane and the the country estate, 1999, p.193; Wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_East_India_Company_directors