London: 33 St James's Square, Charles Street and Market Lane: alterations and additions for Lord Eliot, 1805-1819 (55)
The drawings catalogued here are for alterations to 33 St James's Square in 1805 (  to ) followed by unexecuted drawings for stables in Charles Street, 1813, 1815 (  to [36)], executed drawings for stables in Market Street, 1816-1817 ( to [50)] and lastly drawings for additions in Charles Street, 1817-1819 ( to ). Carried out for Lord Eliot later Earl of St Germans.
No. 33 St James's Square dates from about 1673. It was replaced in c.1770-1772 by a new house designed by Robert Adam, for which there are drawings (not yet catalogued) in the Soane collection. As rebuilt by Adam, the front elevation was four windows wide and the Charles Street front was seven windows wide. The house was bought by Lord Eliot for £11.000 in April 1805 and work was begun immediately by Soane (see drawings  to ).
The next stage concerned new stables, originally in Charles Street (see drawings  to ) but later in Market Lane (see drawings  to ). Demolished c.1916.
The final stage was carried out from 1817 to 1823. Only five drawigns ( to ) survives for this period. The work included a large eating room for which alternative designs were made.
Survey of London, volume XXIx 1960, pp.206-210 (for 33 St James's Square, stables in Market Street and llater extension in Charles Street and volume XXX (fig.40, plate 186); P.Dean, Sir John Soane and London, 2006, p.229
Other works carried out for the Eliot family are: alterations to Down Ampney, Gloucestershire, 1799 (q.v.) and the remodelling of the interior of Port Eliot, St German's, Cornwall, 1804-06 (q.v.)