Design for the Lion Bridge, c1770-73 as executed (1)
Although commissioned by the Duke of Northumberland – and therefore included here – the bridge was for use by the town of Alnwick rather than the estate. The design was executed in accordance with Adam’s design and survives in situ. Crossing the River Aln, and located on the edge of Alnwick town, the Lion Bridge is so called on account of the sculpted Percy family heraldic lion which Adam included in the design. It was commissioned to replace one which had been destroyed by flooding in 1770. The lion was cast from lead in 1773 by John Knowles (fl 1773).