Record drawing of pier glass and table for the first drawing room, 1771, as executed (1)
The commission was part of a general refurbishment of the first drawing room, a small room with a canted bay facing south, also known as the red velvet room. As it leads directly into the great drawing room, through the door frame by Adam, it is the beginning of a short enfilade concluding in the library. As part of the refurbishment, 'Therese with her usual taste ordered all the mouldings & parts of the capitals of the columns to be gilt, which makes the room much chearfuller and handsommer'. Adding these mirrors opposite the window would also be part of bringing cheer to a dark room.
The design was executed by Joseph Perfetti who had also done the pier glasses and tables in the great drawing room.