Design variants with a narrow tower for Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone, London, October-November 1824 (6)
This group of drawings was produced in late 1824, after the 'Neo-Gothic' and 'Anglo-Norman' designs were abandoned. There was a concerted attempt at producing a fully suitable church for the site. The Doric order was replaced by the less expensive Ionic. The tower was slimmer, and in some cases very similar to that which Soane was producing for St Peter's Walworth around the same time: a base with Soane caps on the corners, Corinthian pilasters support the first tier, and the shuttered louvre placed beneath the clock, with a second tier again supported by Corinthian pilasters, topped by a small dome with antefixes around the base. The design was still being used in 1825 (see SM 54/4/8). This would be one area where the Vestrymen and Commissioners would want changes, which probably suited Soane, as they wanted the tower to be larger. The revised design with free-standing columns on the first tier can be seen in SM 54/4/26.
The windows start to be finalised with a smaller bottom window and a larger round-topped window for the gallery. Soane was still experimenting slightly, but the overall arrangement, with each bay articulated by an Ionic pilaster was the final scheme adopted (see SM 54/4/20-22). One design shows the first and last bay as a single round-topped window (SM 54/2/13), whilst another makes all of the flank window transomed (SM 54/2/12). Most notable is SM 54/2/11 which preserved the square bottomed, round topped window for the end bays, which eventually supercedes the single large round windows of SM 54/2/12.