Bromsberrow Place, Gloucestershire: unexecuted designs for the house and stables for Mr Yate, 1761 (2)
Bromsberrow Place, built in the 1760s by Ferdinando Stratford (1719-66) for Robert Dobyns Yate, replaced a seventeenth-century house called Hook Farm. The surviving drawings show that Robert Adam had produced designs for both the new house and stables at Bromsberrow, though neither was executed. A large eighteenth-century brick stable building was constructed to the north of the new house, though not to Adam's design. That Stratford's house made use of Adamesque ceilings implies Yate's interest in the Adam style despite his failure to make use of Adam’s own designs for the fabric.
The Yate family sold Bromsberrow Place in 1811. The house was rearranged and refaced in c.1825, in a severe neo-Greek style, by George Basevi (1794-1845) for its then owner Osman Ricardo. It survives in this form, having received major restoration work during the 1990s, and remains a private residence.
Literature: A.T. Bolton, The architecture of Robert and James Adam, 1922, Volume II, Index p. 5; D. King, The complete works of Robert & James Adam and unbuilt Adam, 2001, Volume II, p. 216; D. Verney, and A. Brooks, The buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2: The Vale and Forest of Dean, 2002, pp. 208-209