Variant designs for the dairy, one presented to Lord Abercorn in September 1797 (5)
An octagonal 'milk room' with a thatched pyramidal roof is linked via a covered walk to a rectangular-plan scalding room with two hearths. The scalding room is where utensils for milk and cheese are sterilized in hot water and dried. The 'milk room' is for storage and it is kept cool by being separated from the scalding room and sunken 'three or four steps' into the ground. The separation of scalding room and storage is a common characteristic of Soane's dairy designs (see Lees Court, Hamels Park, q.v.)
The alternative design on the verso of drawing 123 shows the scalding room and dairy separated even further apart by a colonnaded passage, with all the rooms sharing shelter beneath a single hipped roof.
Drawings 125 and 136 show a larger dairy with an interior measuring 24 feet in diameter. The drawings are unfinished, with the scalding room in pencil. Drawings 125 and 126 were probably made as studies by a pupil rather than for the actual construction of the building.
The ground plan of the premises on drawing 81 shows an existing dairy in the outbuildings between the brew house and the 'maid's room to breakfast &c'.