Working drawing for the wells and drains at Bentley Priory
This plan for Bentley Priory is datable to between 1790 and 98, as it shows the two wings completed in 1792 but omits the entrance hall of 1798.
Water from a spring is channeled through chalk filters and into cisterns, where wooden pipes carry the water to the house and transferred it via smaller lead pipes to another cistern. The hot bath in the basement is fed by a separate well, labelled 'P P' on the plan. The land to the south of the house slopes downward, probably influencing the siting of these wells.