- Robert and James Adam office drawings
There is only one surviving design for a chimneypiece for this house, and it was not executed. However, this design – rather than the executed scheme – is included in Adam’s section of the house (Adam volume 42/61) suggesting that these advertising drawings were produced before the chimneypieces were installed in the house.
Rowan has noted that these drawings were produced before Garrick agreed to move to the Adelphi, and his name was added later, and therefore the plans and sections show a typical house rather than a specific one. It must be noted, however, that the elevation does specifically show one of the central houses at the Adelphi with their ornamental pilasters at first and second storey level.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Finished drawings showing plans, elevation and section for the house, c1768-70, as executed (8)
-  Finished drawing for the basement storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the basement mezzanine storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the parlour (ground) storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the first storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the second storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the third storey of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the elevation of the house, c1768-70, as executed
-  Finished drawing for the section through the house, c1768-70, as executed