The ante room to the eating parlour was a segmental room, located on the ground storey at the front of the house behind the two right-hand bays, beneath the first drawing room, and between the hall and the eating parlour. A plan of the house can be found in the second volume of The works in architecture of Robert and James Adam (part 1, plate 1).
Prior to Adam's works, this space was used as the dining room, which Adam replaced with the great dining room in the rear range of the house.
As the house was demolished in 1862, and the ante room chimneypiece was not illustrated in the Works, it is not known if it was executed in accordance with any of Adam's extant variant designs.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural,
design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for
scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to
preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and
it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance
masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries
and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and
George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings
in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early
work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of
his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of
Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and
fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing