The 12 drawings catalogued here consist of six plans, three elevations, one section, one design for a verandah and one working drawing for a chimneypiece. All but the first three are copies. These are dated 'July 1801', but the date in each case is a later addition, and it is possible that the drawings were made in June. Either way, they precede the three alternative designs (drawings -) that correspond to the three elevations (drawings -) and the section (drawing ). Another related drawing is in the possession of the Canadian Centre for Architecture (DR1983:0859) - see drawing .
Norwood Hall survives and retains several original details both inside and out, although heavily altered in the late nineteenth century. By the early 2000s the house was very dilapidated, but it has since been restored and is currently owned by Sri Guru Singh Sabha which runs adult education and community engagement programmes from the house. In the neighbouring churchyard of St Mary's, Norwood, is the Robins family tomb, also possibly designed by Soane.
P. Guillery, 'Norwood Hall and Micklefield Hall: Works by Sir John Soane', Architectural History, 30, 1987, pp. 181-200; N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: London 3: North West, 1991, pp. 188-89; P. Dean, Sir John Soane and the Country Estate, 1999, pp. 189-90.
Tom Drysdale, March 2015
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Norwood Hall, Norwood Green, Middlesex: new house for John Robins, 1801-2 (12)
-  Design for the basement floor, July 1801
-  Design for the ground floor, July 1801
-  Design for the chamber floor, July 1801
-  Copy of an alternative design for the basement floor, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of an alternative design for the ground floor, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of an alternative design for the chamber floor, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of a design for the front elevation, July 8 1801
-  Copy of a design for the side elevation, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of a design for the rear elevation, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of a design for the longitudinal section of the house, 8 July 1801
-  Copy of a working drawing for a chimneypiece for the Eating Room, 31 August 1802
-  Design for a veranda, 22 June 1803