Soane was probably introduced to Lord Arundell by Edward Foxhall (1756-1815), a carver and fellow pupil at the Royal Academy. Soane made designs for a window at Wardour Castle in May 1786 (Ledger A) but these alterations were apparently not executed. In April 1788, he visited the house in preparation for designing an addition at the chapel’s west end (the ritual east end). Variant designs were made in April. In May, a model of the proposed chapel ceiling, with ornaments drawn on, was built and sent to the client (Journal No 1). The design was apparently approved at this point, as working drawings for the roof were made in September 1788. Drawings for the finishings were made from January to December 1789, indicating the completion of the building. Lord Arundell was delayed in his payments to Soane, as a letter from 1795 attests (Letter Book 1793-95).
Soane also made designs for Lady Arundell’s cabinet ceiling, but these appear to have been unexecuted.
The altar was made for the original chapel by sculptor and architect Giacomo Quarenghi (1744-1817), imported from Rome and installed in the original chapel in 1776.
Originally a private chapel for a Roman Catholic patron, the building now serves as the local Catholic church. The house was used as a girls’ school from 1960 until 1990 when it was bought by a developer and divided into ten apartments. Wardour Castle was described by Pevsner as the 'largest Georgian house in Wiltshire' (Pevsner, pp. 551-554) and John Summerson considered it to be Paine's 'finest house' (J. Summerson, p.371).
A drawing of the chapel at Wardour Castle by Soane's office is at the Victoria and Albert Museum drawings collection, London, showing a view of the chapel interior. The drawing does not correspond with the design of the executed building.
Literature: N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire,1975, pp. 551-554; J. Summerson, Architecture in Britain 1530-1830, 1983, p. 371; P. du Prey, Sir John Soane, 1985, in series of 'Catalogues of architectural drawings in the Victoria and Albert Museum', catalogue 139; D. Watkin, Sir John Soane: the Royal Academy lectures, Cambridge, 2000, pp. 602, 608, 619, 621.
Madeleine Helmer, 2011
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Wardour Castle, Wiltshire: (executed) extension to a chapel for 8th Lord Arundell of Wardour, 1788 (30)
- Survey of part of Wardour Castle, April 1788
- Presentation drawings showing preliminary alternative designs for alterations to the chapel, 26 April 1788 (2)
- Variant designs for sanctuary addition (2)
- Design and working drawings for the sanctuary addition, 6 May 1788 and a record drawing dated 1805 (3)
- Working drawings for the basement (2)
- Working drawings for the roof timbers over the addition, one dated 22 September 1788 (4)
- Working drawing for the roof timbers
- Working drawing for the sanctuary addition, 8 October 1789
- Working drawings for staircases, one dated 21 December 1789 (2)
- Designs for finishings to the dome, 21 December 1789 (3)
- Design and working drawing for the coffering in the dome, one dated 22 December 1789 (2)
- Design for finishings in the sanctuary addition
- Unfinished ceiling design for the nave and the proposed addition
- Working drawings for the cornice
- Designs of the sashes
- Working drawing for the ceiling
- Record drawing of the addition