- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- Main Year: 0
Construction began in 1817 and was completed in 1818, at a cost of £729.15.8. The building was very much in the style of Wren (being post 1815), although it does still bear the ‘sculptural’ chimney of Soane’s oeuvre.
Soane’s Guardhouse was destroyed by a bomb in 1945.
The SM Archive holds one elevation of Soane's Guardhouse, with some details in margin and on verso (Priv.Corr.IX.J.31).
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Guardhouse, November 1817 - January 1818 (5)
- Preliminary design, 26 November 1817
- Design, 26 January-28 July 1818 (3)
- Site progress drawing, c.1818