In the 1711 version of the scheme the Queen's House is retained, extended and refronted, and the chapel and road are moved northwards, to a position roughly halfway between the Queen's House and the hospital; see [9/1]. The chapel is now a square-plan, domed, peripteral building, 180 feet wide (the width of the the chapel in the park in the first enlargement scheme; [6/1]). It is entered from the north side, towards the river, and is connected to the two south dormitories by arcades that join the northernmost intercolumniations of the two side colonnades of the peristyle and turn through right angles to join the centres of the two south dormitories. The relationship of chapel to hospital, in plan and perspective, is illustrated in the pencil sketches on the earliest known design for the scheme at [9/1].
There is no direct road access from the west side. The chapel now serves the hospital only. The altar is on the south rather than the east side of the interior and the road passes beneath the middle of the chapel.
The scheme can be dated to the summer of 1711 on the basis on an inscription on the back of the final plan at Worcester College: Greenwich. Aug.t 9.th anno 1711 (Colvin 1964, cat. no. 60; Wren Society, VI, plate 40, top left). Two other drawings are also inscribed 1711: a presentation design at Worcester College for re-fronting the Queen's House as a three-storey building (Colvin 1964, cat. no. 62; Wren Society, VI, plate 40, top left), and a west elevation of the chapel and courtyard in the Courtauld Insitute of Art Gallery Collections (DD.1962.XX.2.8; Wren Society, VI, p. 92, lower). This last drawing shows the 20-feet drop in level between the ground at the base of the chapel and the ground on the south side of the main hospital courts. It shows the courtyard elevation of the arcade on the east side. It is 11 bays long, including the bay which aligns with the north colonnade of the chapel. The area of lower ground is 60 feet wide and has three bays of arcade set on a rusticated lower arcade. It is clear from this drawing that there was no access to the chapel from Greenwich itself other than through the main hospital courts.
The most detailed plan of the scheme is Hawksmoor's drawing at the RIBA inscribed at the bottom, The Royall Hospitall at Greenwich 1728 N.H. (RIBA Catalogue, Hawksmoor /2; SA 70/4; former E5/9; see Hart 2002, fig. 302). The RIBA plan drawing is an adaptation of an earlier design for the revised first enlargement scheme, for it has a plan of the rectangular chapel of that scheme concealed beneath the pasted overlay that bears the plan of the new chapel and court. The plan shows the arcades meeting the central doors of the two south dormitories and returning to connect with the ends of the colonnades.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of  Third enlargement scheme, 1711
- [9/1] Preliminary design for a square domed chapel on the main axis of the hospital, equidistant between the Queen's House and the main hospital courts
- [9/2] Preparatory design for the chapel, developed from [9/1], with concave-sided attic storey and alternatives for the drum of the dome
- [9/3] Sketch design for the west elevation of the domed chapel, showing the arch of the road tunnel at basement level and alternative designs for the peristyle of the dome