(44) to a scale of ? inch to 1 foot
43 as above, A, Joseph Geldart proposes to sell his present / Dwelling House at Tombland (Chaire House, / Stables, Coach House & Yard excepted) to the Bank / of England for £3000 the Purchase to be / completed on the 29th Day of September next / & Possession to be then delivered. Should the / Settlement be delayed beyond that time, Interest / to be allowed at 5 P[er] Cent from whatever Cause / the delay may arise. // Should the Bank of England / require Possession of any part of the Estate prior / to the 29th of Septr next, they shall be allowed / (if it be possible to accommodate them) to have possession / on paying a proportionate part of the Interest of / the purchase Money. The Bank of England to take / the fixtures on the Estate at a Valuation. The / Question of what all fixtures & their Value to be // (verso): left to Mr Stannard of Norwich. // This proposal is accepted to / be followed by a Contract to be settled by the res- / pective Solicitors of the Parties & to contain such / Clauses as to attested Copies, assignments of Terms, Title / & Conveyances as they shall respecting advise, & this / proposal not to be conclusive or binding on either / party till such a Contract or unless the Terms of / such a Contract can be agreed upon.
44 as above, labelled: Cellar beneath, Lobby, 7'3'', 1.3, 24.6 / 8.6 / 33.0, Counter, Desk (twice), Bank / 24'6'' by 18'9'', Entrance / to / Treasure / Vault, Building 2 Stories / high substantial / & in good repair, W[est], Stove, Waiting / Room, 9'6'', 10.0, Book Room, Staircase, Closet, Water / Closet, Qy Passage to Garden, (red pen, feint) Qy, Closet, Porter, Building 3 Stories high containing Bed Chambers &c, North, Door, Agents Private / Room / 12.6 by 11.0, Agents Room, East, Drawg Room Floor, 12'3'', Bank, Cellar, Street (Tombland), (in another hand, pencil) B
Signed and dated
- (43) London / June 18 1828 and (Bailey) Norwich / 19th June 1828
Medium and dimensions
(43) Pen on wove paper with five fold marks (230 x 380) (44) pen, red pen, sepia, pink, raw Sienna, blue and burnt Sienna washes, pricked for transfer on thin wove paper (570 x 348)
(44) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)
(43) R Munn & Co
Between 20 and 24 June 1828, George Bailey was drawing plans of Mr Foster's and Mr Geldart's premises, according to the Soane office Day Books, having spent the previous weekend in Norwich surveying properties. This building measures roughly 36 feet across the facade, and is marked on a map of 1789 in the Soane Museum (SM 57a/3/9). The main alteration is the addition of an agent's room at the rear of the property, as well as a book room in the centre. The building now constitutes part of the Maid's Head Hotel (right hand side), although certain alterations have been made, such as the repositioning of the front entrance.
English Heritage, British Listed Buildings: Maid's Head Hotel, Norwich, http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-229673-maid-s-head-hotel-norfolk
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation