Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Designs for alterations, 1826 and 1829
  • image Image 1 for SM (6) 56/4/6
  • image Image 2 for SM (6) 56/4/6
  • image Image 1 for SM (6) 56/4/6
  • image Image 2 for SM (6) 56/4/6

Reference number

SM (6) 56/4/6


Designs for alterations, 1826 and 1829


6 Plan of Ground Floor of the Bank &c in Union Street Birmingham with flier


bar scale of ? inch to 1 foot


as above, labelled: Entrance to the Yard of the Union Inn, Iron Guard, High Window, Entrance / Hall, Counter (twice), Desk (5 times), 16'6'' by 47'0'', Iron Safe, Iron Door, Wood Door, Chy, Closet with Iron / Shelves &c, Safe below, Wood Door, Window / A., Deal Glazed Partition to be removed, D., Door, E., Steps to Clerks Room, Oak, Staircase / Paved, 11 feet high, House / Vaulted Basement / and 3 Stories above, Staircase to Strong Room, Waiting Room / 14.0 by 8.0, Breakfast Room / 14.9 by 14.6, Passage, Way to / Vault, Wash hand / Stand &c, Chy, Small / Private / Room / Floor 5'9'' / below A. / 7'0'' by 14'0'', Water / Closet, Door &c, Iron Guard / Window, Flagged Court (twice), Window, Dust / &c, Steps, Paved Court, Fence Wall 5'9'' high from Court, Stable &c, Back Entrance, Public / Passage, Dining Room / 23'9'' by 16'0'', Part Vaulted Basement / & Two Stories, Footmans / Pantry, Back / Staircase, Cooking / Kitchen / 13'7'' by 16'4'', Buildings belonging to the Union Inn, The Old Birmingham Library / nearly the same height as the Bank House, On Lease to the Proprietors / of the Birmingham Library for 120 Years / from June 1793 / 1828 June / expired 35 / unexpired 85, Ground Rent reserved / £11.15.0 pr Anno / ab 175 Sqre Yds and some dimensions given; in another hand: Plan referred to in letter to the Governor of the Bank / dated this day J.S., Dwelling Ho. / which Mr Beswick / has a Lease of which / 103 years are unexpired, Yard, Stable, Warehouse, Birmingham, --- (illegible) / 4 Feb 1829 / ordered / this / door to / be made; on flier: Steps up to Book Room, Steps to / Basement, Waiting Room, G., C. / Door to / correspond / with A., F., Private Office for Agent / 14'0'' by 14'9'', A., B., This Doorway to be / bricked up & the / Door & Jambs / removed to A.

Signed and dated

  • dated 31 Augt 1826 and (flier) 11 May 1829

Medium and dimensions

Pen, sepia, grey-blue, burnt sienna and pink washes, pricked for transfer within single ruled border on wove paper (530 x 367) and flier on laid paper (142 x 89)


badly-nested tags: br


Smith & Allnutt 1823; flier, G C & C 1826


The areas to the left of the premises have clearly been added to the plan at a later date. The plan shows some proposed alterations to the bank building in pink wash, in addition to a note in Soane's hand beneath the flier. Further alterations are shown on the flier itself. The alterations and writing on the flier correspond exactly with those on drawing 11, which is also dated 11 May 1829. Inscriptions added later include the dates '4 Feb 1829' and '11 May 1829', showing that the plan was still being used nearly 3 years after it was initially drawn in 1826.



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).