Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  [11/13] Preliminary design for the elevation of a proposed doctors' pavilion in the infirmary, datable c.1727-28.
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image SM volume 109/50

Reference number

SM volume 109/50


[11/13] Preliminary design for the elevation of a proposed doctors' pavilion in the infirmary, datable c.1727-28.


Elevation, in two parts, either side of central vertical axis, the left half titled The manner of ye Infirmery and the right half The D.rs pavilion, with, at each end, the floor and roof divisions of the flanking ranges, the right side showing also, in dotted lines, the floor beams of the doctors' pavilion


5 feet to 1 inch


By Hawksmoor in brown ink at top left, The manner of ye Infirmery, and to right of centre-line, The D.rs pavilion, and at bottom centre, across the centre-line, The pavll: 63. 0 in all, and with inscribed dimensions in ink on right half of elevation; and in brown ink in C19 hand at bottom right (top right in volume), 50

Signed and dated

  • Undated, but datable c.1727-28

Medium and dimensions

Pen and brown ink over graphite under-drawing, the left side of the design in graphite only. Laid paper, laid down, the right half of the sheet with staining from the glue showing through near the edge of the sheet; other marks in the centre right and centre left of the sheet, probably also associated with its pasting down in the volume in the C19 234 x 365






The design is a study for the doctors' pavilion in the north (right) or south (left) wing of the infirmary, at a stage post-dating that in [11/12] but pre-dating a version in the National Maritime Museum (see below). A half-elevation of the pavilion is drawn in ink on the right half of the sheet. Drawn in pencil on the left side of the sheet, but titled in ink,The manner of ye Infirmery, is a part-elevation of the infirmary. This part-elevation appears to have been included to show the differing floor and window levels between the infirmary and the flanking doctors' pavilion. There is a common basement, but the central arched door, drawn in ink, belongs to the doctors' pavilion. The floor heights of the infirmary are lower than those of the doctors' pavilion. There is also a narrow portion of a lower flanking range drawn in pencil at the extreme left edge of the sheet. It has a shared basement floor, two floors above this, and a parapet level with the top of the first floor of the infirmary.

While the windows of the infirmary at raised ground-floor level correspond with those of the doctors' pavilion, those above this floor are set lower. The difference in height between the tops of the two pavilions, left and right of the centre line, is nearly 5 feet, giving the doctors' pavilion grander proportions than those of the central Infirmary range.

The design is a precursor of the version at the National Maritime Museum, which is shown in a block plan of the hospital dated 1728 and in a larger-scale plan of the infirmary itself (ART/1/7 and 56; Wren Society, VI, pls 45 and 49). Both are inscribed with dimensions by Hawksmoor. Hawksmoor's inscribed width on the Soane Museum elevation 63 feet. In the larger-scaled infirmary plan, ART/1/56, the matching end-pavilions of the infirmary are 65 feet wide wide. They have central doors, but three rather than two windows on each side. The central door in the plan gives access to a corridor that runs around the entire three-block range, connecting the doctors' pavilions with the rear infirmary range (see also [11/12]).

The dating of the design to c.1728 places it within the Surveyorship of Colen Campbell (1726-29). The use of Palladian-revival motifs such as the central Venetian window and the simple classical window cornices may reflect his influence.


Downes 1979, cat. no. 379; Wren Society, VI, pl. 48



Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).