- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- July 7th 1786
The segmental-headed arches are altered in pencil to have a triangular form.
Drawing 2 is on a sheet with a design for Chillington Hall made by John McDonnell on the same date. See Chillington Hall, Staffordshire: alterations and additions for Thomas Giffard, 1785-90 (25), drawing 14.
Soane's Journal No 1 records drawings presented in July 1786 for alterations to the garrets and ante room. Further drawings for the ante room were made in November 1786, with a design settled in December. The Journal records frequent visits to Pembroke Lodge in January and February, suggesting that the designs were actually constructed.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).